Sunday, July 16, 2006

Food 00: menotti

A friend has recently informed me that one should never dine in a restaurant within 6 months of its opening especially for chinese food. This is a piece of really good advice as my terrifying experience at the Imperial Treasure La Mian Xiao Long Bao at Marina Square has shown me in June when I celebrated my bday with my family.

Yesterday, taking the advice to heart, we went to the italian restaurant (or café & bar) Menotti, at Raffles City. The service is fantastic. We ordered our food from an uber friendly waitress who was very patient with my mother who wanted lobster and spaghetti yada yada. Kudos to that.

The food is alright, above average. I ordered a dinner set for $29.90, while my mother and sisters went for the pasta. I tried all three while waiting for my main course and I thought they tasted rather good. For me, I had a starter of spinach and crab soup (which was pretty nice though my mum hated it) and fish with mushroom in white wine (can't really remember) and finally a free choice for desert (pastry) which my sister decided on the sinfully sorbert.

I have to minus marks for that stinky error they made in not cooking the fish completely. One of the pieces was not well cooked and I could see some redness in the middle. Fortunately that was the last piece I ate or I would have lost my appetite. Ignoring that, the main course was actually rather nice, especially when I ate the fish with the mashed potato with the white wine sauce. Taken on its own, the white wine sauce would have overpowered the taste of the black pepper fish.

We had actually wanted to order one of the cakes which was recommended by a friend but it was not available. Pity. Also, I do not believe you can reserve in advance. When my sister and I tried to reserve at 5++, they politely shattered that thought. Finally, Menotti is mildly expensive. Pasta starts from $19. Desert is a must try unless you can afford to go to Bakerz Inn. In fact, go there for the pastry and cake and not for lunch/dinner.

Rating: 6.8/10 Would have gave more but for the fish.

Menotti is at #01-17, beside Bakerz Inn. Tel: 6333 9366

No comments:

Post a Comment