Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Food Review: Marutama Ramen vs Tampopo

Tampopo

I had heard raves about the ramen at Marutama Ramen and Tampopo. Well, I just had to try both!

Food
Marutama Ramen:
If you ordered the basic ramen, you will only have 1 slice of char siew with some sea weed. Nonetheless, the char siew was incredibly tender and scrumptious. If you want additional topping, which I highly recommend, please get more char siew! As there wasn't much ingredient, the chicken based soup was the star of the night. It was tasty and yet as salty as I thought. Definitely one of the best ramen I have eaten.

Besides ordering the ramen, we also ordered a dango thingie which I have forgotten the name. The little meat ball has chilli infused in it. I felt disappointed when I ate it. It wasn't worth the money I spend to eat.

Tampopo:

I ordered the original Kyushu Ramen while my partner ordered the Black Pig Shabu Ramen. The ramen comes with one big slice of char siew, one lump of roes, one stewed egg and some fungus. The soup, which I believed is the same for both the Kyushu Raman and Shabu Ramen, is supposedly boiled over 2 days. And it shows - the soup is sweet and yummy with the roes giving it even more of a flavour. However, I find it be excessively salty. The char siew is also not on par as the one from Marutama. I did like the egg though. The yolk literally flows down my throat.

Ramen with Roes


The Black Pig Shabu Ramen comes with the shabu shabu and some green lettuce. I find the shabu shabu to be very delicious and the soup even tastier than the Kyushu Ramen, with the flavour of the meat in the soup. It is however as salty as the Kyushu Ramen.

Ramen

Aside from the ramen, we also ordered the California Maki. It was not bad but I have ate better.

Maki


Ambiance
Marutama Ramen:
The restaurant is actually quite small with windows looking into the mall. That also means that nosy shoppers will stare at you as they walk pass! It was rather comfortable and during the time I spent there, I spied several groups of people eating with their friends.

Tampopo:
Unlike Marutama, I went there during lunch. It wasn't that crowded as it was the week day. the ambiance is generally alright though I think the branch at Central has far more privacy.


Service
Marutama Ramen:
In order to make their service more efficient, at Marutama Ramen, each table had its own flask of water. The waitress will provide you with two cups and you can pour as much or as little water as you want. There is also a box of tissue. If the water is not your cup of tea (pardon the pun) you can ask the waitress to get you a cup of green tea for free. I am not sure if they would refilled that cup of tea though.

Tampopo:
There was a man that helped us to refill our green tea every time a mouthful was gone. Perhaps this only happens when the restaurant isn't as busy but I was impressed. The service as a whole was good.


Price
I find that the price for ramen in Singapore is generally quite expensive. A chicken-based ramen for $12 at Marutama Ramen is not very worth it. I don't feel full after eating it. The Kyushu Ramen cost around $13.60. It is more feeling than Marutama Ramen though the sushi may have contributed to it.

Ratings
Marutama Ramen: 6.5/10
Tampopo: 7/10

Tampopo wins with its shabu shabu ramen and its tasty broth.

Marutama Ramen is at 6 Eu Tong Sen Street #03-90/91 The Central @ Clarke Quay.
Tampopo is at 177 River Valley Road #01-23/24 Liang Court Shopping Centre.

2 comments:

ladyironchef said...

nice thanks for the review. i haven been to marutama ramen yet, but i heard their ramen is quite ok? what else they sell besides ramen?

T__T said...

They sell very limited dishes. 3 types of ramen, and some side dishes like roasted char siew, Gyoza and a type of radish which I had heard many raves but did not try.

Post a Comment