Sunday, November 09, 2008

Mango Sago Dessert: Can you cook it?

Suntanning Mango
Let your mangoes sunbath under the warm sunlight



I chanced upon this website (which is no longer updated... what a pity) offering a recipe for mango sago dessert. As people who know me can testify, I loved to eat that dessert. And thus, I, who has a history of burning porridge, maggie mee, and curry (lol. don't ask) took on the challenge cooking something edible for once.

Uncooked sago pearls
Way too much sago pearls for a portion of 3 people

To make things easier for myself, I decided to reduce the portion of the mango sago; the original recipe allows for a serving of 6 to 8 people. I used only one mango and forgo the Fruit Tree mango juice.

Cooking
Boiling the little pearls

As the preparation of the sago pearls is the longest, I cooked as per the instruction first. This is where I made my first mistake. I do not have a weighing machine so I estimated the amount of sago pearls that is needed. Let's just say I wasted a lot of pearls.

I must also emphasized the fact that the pearls will harden and lump together if you leave it in the fridge. To solve this problem you'll have to add in some water and use a spoon to stir and separated them.

Sago Pearls
Remember to drain the sago pearls carefully!

After preparing the pearls, the rest of the steps are pretty easy. Boil some water and sugar and add in tapioca flour. You will need to cut the mango in cubes. At least that is what you should aim for. I sure did not succeed at it since my 'cubes' are mostly rectangles.


Mango Cubes
Cube the mango!

Since I used only one mango, I reduced the numbers of cubes and use half of the mango for the mango purée. I recommend using a spoon to scrape whatever flesh that you cannot cut from the mango. I used 40ml of water rather than 100ml in the recipe and blended the mixture.

Mango pulp
Blend the mango! Don't add too much water if you want it to be thick.

Finally I dumped everything together before adding only 3 1/2 tablespoon of evaporated milk as my family does not like the taste of it. The end result was surprising good though my mum complained that it was not sweet enough (I reduced the amount of sugar too). So there you have it. I can cook Mango Sago Dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment