Sunday, March 08, 2009

Malacca: Teo Soon Loong Chan

Last year December I went to Malacca with my family (we booked an entire bus) for a shopping and eating trip. One of the best place we ate at was this Teo Chew restaurant. It might have something to do with the fact that it served the most fabulous Ohr Nee (yam paste) I have eaten in my life.

PC150076

Teo Soon Loong Chan

Teo Soon Loong Chan looks like a run down shop from the outside. You actually have to enter from the kitchen. It's a family owned restaurant that served great Teo Chew food and has great service. So I was quite surprised when I read online that it has bad service and seafood that is not fresh! When I went there the food was extremely fresh and tasty.

Oyster Mee
The (in)famous oyster mee

Though some people complained in their blogs that the oyster was not fresh, I felt at that time it was fresh and juicy. I have never eaten oyster mee before so I cannot judge properly but everyone around me loved this dish. For me, the noodle isn't too thick and it tasted excellent with the bits of garlic and the sauce. This is also one of their signature dish.

Beancurd Something
One of my favourite dish for that night, second only to the Ohr Nee. I do not know what the name is. The crispy outer skin covers the egg inside it, creating a nice balance. This is a must try.

Beancurd
Tau fu with Minced Meat

Shiock ah! I noticed that their sauces are all really good! The Tau Fu and the meat with the gravy is so good that I wanted to finish my rice with it.

Bitter gourd
Stewed Pork ribs with Bitter gourd

The bittergourd is smooth and soft, the meat is tender and the sauce is heavenly.

Chee Cheong Fun
Chee Cheong Fun

After all those dishes, this is almost a let down. It has one wanton and crabstick.

Steamed fishSteamed Pomfret

I thought this fish was really fresh. When one of the staff saw how much trouble we had, he came to our table and helped us cut it.

Vegetable!Some vegetable dish that I don't really remembered.

Yam paste with ginko nut and sweet potato
Ohr Nee

And finally the Ohr Nee! This is the best Ohr Nee I have eaten. It's not watery like most places would have it nor too thick. So smooth and yet not too sweet. The pumpkin and ginko nut are at the side for you to place inside your yam paste. I only regret that my grandmother could not enjoy this dessert (she is too old to travel). This is a must try! You can't visit this place without eating their Ohr Nee.

Mango
Mango

We also had some fruits after the dessert. By that time we were almost too full to eat it!

PC150112
The owner

He's over eighty years old and entertained us (or rather the older family members) while we were waiting for the food.

I know that this place is considered only reasonable for Malaysians. But for us, it is extremely value for money as we paid about $10(? forgive me if it's wrong) per person for a 8 course meal. I would totally return there for their Ohr Nee alone.

Teo Soon Loong Chan is located at 55 Jalan Hang Kasturi, Malacca.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hello! I just saw this on a repeated tv show late on channel 8 last night hosted by Mark lee, Sharon Au . This was excatly the restaurant that the show featured because i can recongise some of the dishes you posted here, like the Oyster Mee, Ohr Nee and Steamed Pomfret, and of course the uncle who is the owner right? =) Wow, all these food... can't wait to try them!

Roger

agony said...

This is really weird. I swear I replied to you. But yes, you should try the food if you are going to malacca. :)

Anonymous said...

u know i went there with my husband. n made a reservation but they told me they dont serve two person meal. n then cannot even takeaway. i told them we will order about five dishes but he said two of us will only take more spaces n he canceled our reservation. so the next day i called up n said i wanna book for 10, they didnt allow me to order because they're afraid i will not appear. lousy business. what a shame. we cant even order the choice of food we want. n hello... he thinks he's the only teochew restaurant in Malacca? go to hell.

ANNOYED Singaporean

Anonymous said...

Rude & Arrogant Cook at Teo Soon Long Chan Restaurant Malacca
The cook here is really rude and arrogant. We visited this place in Sep 2014, the cook loudly boasted that the restaurant was full and we have to wait three days to eat there. He was extremely rude and arrogant about it and had the no-care attitude. I feel no matter what, they cannot use this attitude towards customers. There are other good restaurants in Malacca and for sure, I will not eat at this lousy Teo Soon Long Chan place. They have also received bad reviews in other blogs and websites, so it seems they are getting too cocky. Ban them from my list.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.my/ShowUserReviews-g306997-d1095415-r164709030-Tee_Soon_Loong_Chan_Teo_Chew_Seafood_Restaurant-Melaka_Central_Melaka_District_M.html#REVIEWS

Wayne Tan said...


THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING TEO SOON LOONG RESTAURANT,WE ARE MOVING TO THE NEW PREMISES FOR EXPANSION,CURRENTLY RENOVATION WORKS ON PROGRESS,ESTIMATE SHOP OPEN FOR BUSINESS MARCH 2015,ANY INQUIRY PLS CALL KIM 012 6035454

NEW ADDRESS :NO 42&44,JALAN KPKS 1,KOMPLEKS PERNIAGAAN KOTA SYAHBANDAR,75200 MELAKA。(FACING MAIN ROAD,NEARBY NEW LAGOON RESTAURANT)

Post a Comment